Wednesday, February 17, 2010

In which I digress

Tunes: Monsters of Folk
Evening plans: Bones with sunflower seeds
Current excitement: working on Kendra's senior pictures- they're GORGEOUS.

So here's the story on this blog.

Today I went to chapel with Matt (Wednesdays are Soulmate days). I didn't know it was Ash Wednesday until it was mentioned at the beginning of service, which just goes to show how often I look at my calendar. I never really understood the meaning or implication of Ash Wednesday, but today my interest was piqued. The speaker (I'll try to remember her name...) spoke on the different things God says when He speaks to us and it was really, really helpful for me.

During our quiet reflection time, I felt a strong urging from the Holy Spirit towards two things: A) that I give up Facebook for Lent and B) that I start a blog, because He gives me a lot of stuff to say.

Giving up FB for 40 days will be difficult, but rewarding. Giving stuff up for Lent shouldn't be like... "What would I miss the least?" or "What is the healthiest option?" It's about giving up the biggest thing hindering your relationship with God. And for me at this point, it's Facebook, because it sucks up my time and lifeforce. Time that I should be spending with God. So there's that. I'll go on to upload some pictures, but that's about it. If I use it at all, it won't be for more than five minutes. In correlation to this, I'm going to be making a strong effort to read some Christian literature, to attend more prayer/worship meetings, and spend A LOT more time in prayer.

And the blogging... Well, for a large part, this is all for meeeeee! To keep me accountable in my walk with Christ, to help me remember what I do from day to day, and to help me empty my head of recurring thoughts. But for the few of you who may be interested, it's a chance to get inside my head and live my days with me. Good luck keeping up. ;D I'll try to share interesting/important Bible verses, quotes, photos, lyrics, or videos each time I blog....

So all that aside (sorry for droning on, I tend to be long-winded), here's the first thing I'd like to share with you:

The verse behind the name of my blog, taken from an NIV Bible, goes "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

This is Romans 8:37-39. These verses jumped out at me during my reading of Romans a few months back. Just the strong claim that NOTHING can separate us from His love, if we crave it, ask for it, and accept it. I've sinned loads in my life, like any other human being. And oftentimes, the Deceiver will try to convince me that God doesn't love me, want me, or think of me. Darlings, that is a lie straight from the pit of Hell. DESPITE our sins, our shortcomings, our failures, HE LOVES US. Endlessly, hopelessly, desperately, perfectly. For eternity.

Soak that up, pumpkins. That's all for tonight. Please enjoy my life, because I AM!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment